Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Solution

.



We consume a decent amount of fruit and vegetables in our family, so naturally there are peels and tops and extras. We also compost. We have two big bins in the yard, but we also keep a small container in the kitchen to build up scraps.

During the fall & winter, this isn't a problem. But come late spring and full-on summer (or, simply by living in the South, April), there's a noticeable increase in those pesky little fruit flies.

No matter how tightly sealed our compost container is, no matter how fresh or quickly eaten our produce is, we get those darn flies.

I hate spraying chemicals in the air, because 1. they're chemicals and B) it requires covering every single surface ahead of time or cleaning every surface thoroughly after!

So when I got the newest Vermont Country Store catalog, and saw this fruit fly trap, I was intrigued.

Enough to finally just order the darn thing and see if it works.

It does.

A small packet of 'lure', some water and dish washing liquid get mixed and poured into a rather pretty glass container. This gets hung up, and wow...the flies are seriously drawn to it...which means bye-bye flies.

No more flies. They are GONE. It's attractive yet unobtrusive, inexpensive, and most importantly? It works.

Just in case you're dealing with the same problem...

4 Thoughts for food:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Brilynn said...

I am SO having that same problem... those little flies drive me crazy!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Brilynn...this thing really works! It's amazing...not single new fly since we hung it up. You should try it!

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, what's in the "lure"? Sugar?

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Pam...I have absolutely no idea. Ingredients aren't listed, but Matt think it's probably pheromones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker