Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Five-Napkin Sandwich

.



It's not that we're deliberately trying to eat healthier, or anything. But Matt & I have been drawn, of late, to various vegetarian cookbooks I've had in a pile (in a pile because Matt hasn't yet found the time to build a new set of shelves).

So, I've been planning a lot of meatless meals, which is fine with the entire family. Some are actual 'dishes', others are more in the form of a meze, and more still are no more difficult than a salad or sandwich.

This was such a sandwich.

From the appropriately-titled Vegetarian Sandwiches: Fresh Fillings for Slices, Pockets, Wraps and Rolls, Roasted Red Pepper-Avocado Clubs with White Bean Hummus.

Toasted bread is slathered with hummus (to save time, we used Earth Fare's original recipe hummus), topped with strips of roasted red pepper, more hummus-smothered bread, a nice thick slice of tomato, slices of avocado, red-leaf lettuce, and one last hummus-rich piece of bread.

The result is a rich & satisfying sandwich. All the flavors go well together: the tang of the hummus, the slight sweetness of the peppers, the smoothness of the avocado.

But it's a heck of a messy one. The hummus rapidly turns the toasted bread into something more recognizable in building cement foundations. The tomato and red peppers are very juicy. It just plain gets smooshy. Not a word, according to blogger. But it's the right one to use.

Messy, messy stuff. But that's what napkins are for...






Tagged with: + + + + + +

6 Thoughts for food:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger PheMom said...

Until I read your note that it was vegetarian, I thought it looked like tuna! LOL - this hummus sandwich looks great!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Ginny said...

That would be great for dinner! too bad, im too lazy to run to the store...I guess I shall have to bite the screen! hehe! :)

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Haahaa HA! That's funny, phemom, seriously.

No, just good ol' hummus. I'm keen to make the white bean stuff, when I have a bit more time.

Maybe...hmmm...late August I can fit that in???

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ginny, it's so filling. Incredibly messy, as I've mentioned, but just so hearty!

Hope you didn't hurt yourself, chomping on the monitor!

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been feeling the same way. I'm eating a lot of simple basic, healthy foods. Makes it harder to blog because no one wants to see me eat an apple,do they? no..:)
Your sandwich looks awesome!

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Maryann...exactly!! Simple foods don't always translate to read-worthy, do they?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker