Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Blog Party#6: Retro Party

.

Happy New Year, everyone!

January first has snuck up on us (let's see a show of hands: how many are wondering where the last year went?), and in addition to the start of a new year, it's time for this month's Blog Party announcement.

Hey, I'm always happy to get your day off to a good start. And what could be more exciting, more fabulous, than planning for another Blog Party?

No, really. What??? I'm curious.

If I weren't so incredibly modest, I'd assume everyone in blogdom already knew about Blog Party. That there couldn't possibly be the need to explain our swingin', too-cool-for-the-mainstream, event.

But, modest I am, so Blog Party expo to follow!



Blog Party is a virtual cocktail party for food bloggers. It's a chance to make those little bites and fantastic drinks we all love, but never make. Blog Party is about taking time for us: setting aside some time to cook (which, clearly, we all love), to prepare appetizers we want to eat but never get around to. And best of all, it's about getting together, albeit via the Web, with like-minded friends.

On the first day of each month, I announce a theme for Blog Party. Past themes have included Tiki, Big Game Night, and Holiday.

Food bloggers who want to join in have the next few weeks to think up or find recipes to go with the theme. One of the 'rules' for Blog Party is that each guest is to 'bring' both an hors d'oeurves and a drink, in accordance with the theme.

Make the foods and cocktails/mocktails you'd love to have at your own party. Better yet? Host a real cocktail party!

Either way, make your dishes and post your entry (with pictures, preferably) to your blog. Post at any time. Send me your links by the third Thursday of the month (email address is provided below). That Saturday, I post a round-up...though we like to think of it as introducing our guests, and the amazing food they've brought along.

In addition, I also include some party tips: decorating ideas and sources, as well as themed-music selections.

By the end of the night, we've all made some friends and discovered new recipes. And frankly, had a good time without all the calories. And Best of all, you can add the new dishes to your own cocktail party repertoire!

Now, for the 'rules'.

What, in my opinion, qualifies as cocktail food:

  • Finger foods: anything that can be picked up, carried around and eaten with one hand...the use of the second hand as crumb catcher is perfectly acceptable

  • Dippers: vegetables, crackers, bread, chips, breadsticks and any inventive foods which are used for scooping or spreading dips and uh...spreads

  • Miniature meals: by this, I mean a normal-sized dish, cut or displayed as individual servings. A quiche, cut into small enough pieces to be eaten in less than four bites would be accepted.


Ok; now that we have all that out of the way...our Blog Party refresher course...it's time to get to this month's theme!

While the rest of the world is looking ahead to what 2006 will bring, we here at Blog Party are looking back; that's right, this month, we're going Retro!

For January's party, we're going back in time.

By 'Retro', I'm talking 1940's to 1960's. The foods, the drinks, the fads of the Atomic Age.

Pre-World War II through to the beginning of the Space Race.

What you do with these guidelines is up to you. Don't know what was being served during the Fifties (hey, I'm too young to know that, as well)? Ask your parents. Grandparents. Look up old women's magazines.

But keep it retro. And keep it fun.

Start thinking about your dishes, and if you have any questions at all, drop a line at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. Entries are due 19 January, and I'll post the round-up on the 21st.

So, break out the Jell-o molds and Ritz crackers. Ladies, dig out the pearls and guys? Sports coats required!

We're having a Retro Party!!!

Hope to see you there.


Tagged with
, , , , , ,

27 Thoughts for food:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger Ziz said...

wow -- can I tell you how much I LOVE anything retro?? I will def. try to make it to this blog party! Happy 2006! :o)

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Alicat, I am a retro-housewife by choice...and if I could find my way back to the 1950's, I'd be there in a heart beat!

I do hope you can make it, and have a great 2006!

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger sailu said...

Stephanie,here's wishing you and your family a wonderful and safe NEW YEAR!
Have a great blog party too..:)

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Sailu!

And we'd love to have you join us for the party, too!

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow you are so good with keeping up with your event! i was kinda hoping you'd go back to the big game with the SUPER BOWL, LOL! but retro is AWESOME. FONDUE!!!!!!

happy new year to you and yours!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, Sarah; it's called not having a life. And certainly not a delicious one!

I felt big game was too obvious; and retro food is just so much fun!

Oh, yeah...fondue. I have three pots, if anyone needs to borrow!

I really hope you make it to the party...

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

I am sooooooooooooooo in on this one :)

After buying my sister-in-law Retro Desserts and Retro Houswives for Christmas I think this is the PERFECT THEME!

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Fantastic, Jen!

We'll look for you at the party!

Oh, and I just got Retro Baking and Retro Pies, too!

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said...

hmm..I may struggle a bit to come up with something retro...but this sounds like fun. I hope to participate =)

Happy New Year!!

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

CO: if you need any help, let me know...we'd love to see you at the party!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi, Glutton Rabbit!

I do hope you can come; I think this theme is going to be lots of fun.

And I will certainly join the Donna Hay fun...I love her magazine, even though I do have to scour the bookstores to get it. Count me in!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Sam said...

i keep wanting to join the blog party and I never have enough time.
I was so bummed to miss the vegas one and this one sounds fun too.
I will try but no promises.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sam...we'd love to have you join us!

And remember; you can always make something and send it to me early!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger anni said...

Putting on my heels, pearls and crinoline slip.
I'll have Keely Smith and Louis Prima come along. Do you think the Rat Pack will be free for the evening?
Can't wait to flip open my older cookbooks.
Cocktails anyone?

Happy New Year!

Tootles,

Anni

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Sam said...

i am so about to have a retro blog party in my kitchen by myself right now.
yay yay yay

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Fantastic, Anni!

Can't wait to see what you bring!

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Way to go, Sam!

I'm looking forward to this...send me a link when you're ready!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Sam said...

well - it wasn't exactly perfect and now i have had one too many classic champagne cocktails for 5.30 on a saturday afternoon and i need a snooze any minute to make the effect of it go away, but i will be able to post up the results on the party day.
for sure.
I didn't promise before, but now it's a definite promise.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey, Sam; for all you know, retro housewives were doing the exact same thing fifty years ago!

I'm truly happy you're coming to this month's party.

 
At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a German foodblogger, may I participate with two recipes, which are retro for me?

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ostwestwind...tag!

You are most welcome to join in! And retro dishes from your own country would be perfect.

I used to know German, but I'm afraid I've forgotten most of it...I'm doing what I can to read your blog,, and getting every two or three words.

That's not too bad, is it?

I'll look for your entry!

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Stephanie: Regarding Sam's last comment -- I'm almost old enough, I can say this -- the relaxant of choice in the 50s (OK, I heard this in a Rolling Stones' song) was "mother's little helper." Milltown! Downers! Tranquilizers! Barbiturates!
Ew.
Champagne: Much better.

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger ZaZa said...

Well, I too was fascinated by this one. I've done the verbal portion of my post. Now, I just have to do the actual foods and take their pics.
Mea culpa. I misread the directions and thought we had until the weekend. I will get the pics done by then, or let you know.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Cookiecrumb...I really think it depended on the decade. Many 'made the pain go away' with help from the de rigeur household bar, but just as many popped pills, smoked...you name it.

Which is kind of funny when you think about how straight-laced folks from those times appeared!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

b'gina; you're good. We want to see what you make!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Christiane said...

Yum! I wanna play . . .

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, Miss Smartee Pants, we'd love to have you join in!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker